Thursday, June 13, 2013

Hit it and Quit it.

Does anyone ever hear an old song and think what happened to those guys? Since it's Thursday and everyone wants to violate my Instagram timeline of pictures from three weeks ago, I've decided that today's post will be about some of the best one hit wonders of the 2000's. Hopefully these take you down memory lane, but not far enough for you to ask "where are they now", because the answer to that is probably nowhere. So here we go.

5. Party Like a Rockstar - Shop Boyz (2007)

When this song first came out, everyone was a rockstar as silly as you may feel about it now. Its true.  Although the shop boyz (notice the z) did attempt to make other songs, this was their only big hit.  The Shop Boyz were signed with Universal Records which was a division of UMG Records, I know this all sounds very legit, but before you start practicing your air guitar solos. Don't, because a return from this group looks pretty dismal. Totally Dude.
4. Laffy Taffy - D4L (2005)

Is it just me, or did D4L seem like the most diverse group of friends.  They all seemed like they brought something different to the group, and were all really fun.  As nice as that may seem, it wasn't enough for them to make another hit and keep themselves off this list. I personally used to love this song, and it was my first ever ringtone. Gross, I know. Laffy Taffy actually peaked to the top spot on Billboards Chart and the single went platinum, and with all of that backing they still couldn't make another huge hit. Did that just make anyone else wanna get some Now and Laters. No, okay I'll relax then.
3. Tipsy - J-Kwon (2004)

When this song first came out, we were all way too young to be getting anything but chocolate wasted.  Yes, Hood Hop was a good song as well, but Tipsy is essentially what made J-Kwon a hood household name. The video also seemed like the best house party ever, but that couldn't keep him around long enough to make it to the kickback era.  Sadly, we're just finding out that Mr. Kwon (can I call him that) is attempting to make a diss record about Odd Future.  Please do us all a favor, stay somebody that we used to know in a tall tee.
2. Because I Got High - Afroman (2000)

Although Because I Got High is from Afroman's second album, it's his most known song ever.  I can appreciate that after this smoker's anthem went viral he gracefully bowed out of the music industry. Not many people know where he is right now, but we can all admit that that song isn't going anywhere, and neither is the topic.
1. Shoulder Lean - Young Dro feat. TI (2006)

This song made it to number one simply because, if it comes on right now you're gonna know the lyrics and start singing along.  Many say that this song came out before it's time,  but in 2006 it made it to the coveted top ten of Billboard's Hot 100. Young Dro hasn't been seen making anything since his album Best Thang (not thing) Smokin'. Although Ain't I was a hit as well, it wasn't a money maker like Shoulder Lean was which is why he made it to the top spot of this list.
The Rap Up- One Hit Wonders are great, they give current artists a goal of what not to become.  Although we loved these song, I'm not patiently waiting on a return from these fellas. I hope this makes you guys wanna pull out the durags, now that's a Throwback Thursday for your ass.

4 comments:

  1. Young Dro also had "Rubber Band Man" on the Best Thang Smokin' album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say I had an airbrushed shirt that said "betcha can't do it like me" LMAO! Great blog and I do agree! #TeamBBB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! This was very entertaining. Keep it up Deshauna! :)

    ReplyDelete